Subject: Re: [Leica] 100+135+180 vs 70-180
From: n.b.watson@juno.com (Nigel B Watson)
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 08:37:17 EST

I have no hands-on experience with these Leica lenses, as I use Nikon for
my SLR work.  But these comments hold irrespective of the marque:  A
large, heavy zoom (and the Leica 70-180 is *much* heavier than the Nikon
80-200/2.8) requires more meticulous technique to ensure sharp images,
than smaller and lighter fixed focal length lenses.  Even if the 70-180
is optically superior at 180mm and f/4 than your 180 Elmar at f/4, if you
handhold both of them at even 1/250 sec., the image with the Elmar will
very likely be sharper. (This is one reason why "lens tests" can be
misleading).
The 70-180 zoom has applications which the three fixed lenses are
incapable of, namely, an infinite range of focal lengths which can be
accessed without changing lenses.  That should be your primary reason for
buying it.  I would also try out the 70-180 for a day of shooting if
possible.  You will then know if you can tolerate its weight and size
(just pointing it about the store is not sufficient) and know what it
takes (tripod, monopod, etc.) to make sharp images with it.  You also
might want to try it with extension tubes to see if it can hold its own
in the macro department since you contemplate selling the 100 macro.

In any case, I would not sell the 180/4.  It isn't going to bring a lot
of money; Leica have discontinued it; and you *will* find occasions when
the 70-180 is more than you want to carry.

Regards,
Nigel

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]