Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Neophyte-Focus...Success!
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 01:00:06 -0500

sandyquandt@centuryinter.net wrote:

> Thanks for all of the input and advice! I have just retrieved my first set of
> prints (some of which were accomplished while performing the "Leica-sway"  :-))
> and it appears as if all is well with the focus alignment. Seems as if some of
> the focus issues are similar to those initially encountered in my macro work
> with the SLR system, ie. at wide apertures critical focus can be a little
> tricky and takes a bit of practice. I really appreciate all of the responses
> and am looking forward to learning more from this terrific group!
>
> Sandy (who has now narrowed the next-lens choice down to the 75/1.4 or the 50
> Noctilux....)

Sandy,

Both are phenomenal lenses. However, I think it's a sh-tload of money to
spend if you're not going to live in available darkness all the time. I
use both Summicron Dual Range 50mm and Summilux 50 mm lenses and find
them wonderfully crisp and exhibiting all the mystical hoopla that Leica
lenses are capable of. And I've used both handheld down to 1/8 or 1/4
second regularly. Leica cameras facilitate operating with such long
shutter speeds with a little practice. Also, they don't weigh as much as
the Nocti or 75 Summilux so you're likely to feel more comfortable
carrying the camera/lens combo. One of the things I enjoy about my
Leicas is using them for travel and if I wanted all that weight I'd use
my reflex cameras. My two cents worth.

Carl Socolow

p.s. The 50mm elmarit has received nothing but rave reviews for its
sharpness and all the other crap that we manage to consume tons of
bandwidth discoursing about ad infinitum.