Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V5 #22
From: n.b.watson@juno.com (Nigel B Watson)
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 20:42:24 EST

For years I have used the lithium cells in my Nikon F3's, and a friend
uses them in FM2n's.  These are all analog circuits contemporary to or
predating the M6, and use SPD cells.  In all cases the owner's booklets
condone the use of the lithium cells and in all cases they have
functioned flawlessly (as in fact they have in my 3 M6's).

Regards,
Nigel

On Mon, 07 Dec 1998 14:23:22 +0000 Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
writes:
>Berthold:
>
>I recently discovered a similar problem with Li batteries, and
>talked to my technician about it. He said that this is a problem
>with most or all analog SPD meter circuits, not just Leica. One
>should not use Li cells in any of them.
>
>This may also help to explain why Leica has gone to digital
>meter circuitry in the M6TTL.
>
>-Alexey
>
>--------------------
>
>Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 17:12:42 +0100
>From: Berthold Lenhard <lenhard@verwaltung.chemie.uni-freiburg.de>
>Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Batteries
>
>Hello,
>I'm now following the leica-users-digest for more than one year and
>was
>always only a reader. But the latest dicussion about batteries for the
>M6
>makes me being astonished and forces me to respond.
>When listening people talking about problems with the M6 and
>batteries, I
>always have to remember the disastrous experiences I had with the
>exposure
>meter of my M6.
>In the german manual (until 1997; 13years!) for the M6 you could read,
>that
>the meter always give correct exposure when there is enough power to
>illuminate the LED's. The truth is, when a Lithium cell is going to
>its
>end, there is enough power to ligth the LED's but the EV was (in my
>case) 3
>EV and more overexposed. This effect lasts not only for a short
>periode
>because it took over 100 exposuses on Kodachrome at my father's 85
>birthday
>in connection with 125th anniversary (can anyone imagine how happy I
>was.
>btw: spare batterie is always present) to make me skeptical. The same
>cell
>was also good enough for a lot of demonstrations for me, I couldn't
>believe
>it, and the Leica-marketing-manager (Mr. P. Fischer) at product
>presentation. He had no knowledge about that effect and asked me to
>contakt
>Mr. S. Peters the product-manager for the M-system to get a competent
>explanation.
>So I did, but got no answer!
>After four weeks I called him to ask about the problem and he told me
>that
>Leica knows about that failure (also pro's criticized it) and he first
>want
>to speak with the technicans. He promised me to recall.
>No answer!
>Another four weeks later I sent him a fax to ask for news.
>No answer!
>More than four weeks later I contacted a german magazine for
>naturefotografy to ask for publishing a letter in the readers corner.
>A few days later I had an answer in my hands.
> [...]

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]