Subject: [Leica] Focomat 1C Question and Old Enlarger Lens
From: "Anderson, Ferrel" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 16:33:27 -0600

This is in answer to the questions (SAB) of Dave Rogers and Noel in regard
to enlarger lenses.

Before the Focotars, Leica provided the V-Elmar enlarging lenses, which were
four element triplets.  The Leica 50mm Elmar camera lens could also be used.
The screw mount version could be attached directly, but the bayonet lens
required a mounting adapter that attached to the bayonet of the lens tube
with the lens in the collapsed position.  The camera mounting bayonet was
not used for mounting the lens on the enlarger.   The 50mm Summicron camera
lenses, both collapsible and rigid versions, can also be used with the
proper adapters.  All of these lenses can be used with autofocus.  The
camera lenses are an interesting alternative for making large scale prints.
Worth a fun test sometime in the future!   Anybody out there have an opinion
or experience on this?

There are three 50mm f4.5 Focotar lenses available for the Focomat 1C
enlargers.  The first has the lens specification writing on the face of the
front flange, whereas the later two Focotars have the writing on the side of
the lens tube.  The first Focotar is a five element triplet optical design,
and was available in 1973.  I know, because I bought mine new then.    The
Second is a five element gauss design, with three elements before the
diaphragm.  It has larger diameter front and rear elements than the first
and third designs.  It is a Schneider lens.  The third design is called the
Focotar-2, and it is a six element Gauss design with three elements before
and three elements after the diaphragm.  The first Focotar is roughly
equivalent in performance to the older Nikkor, but the Focotar-2 is superior
to it and the first Focotar.  I have never used the second Focotar from
Schneider, and so I don't have an opinion about its performance.  The
Focotar-2 lens equals the latest Schneiders and Nikkors in resolution, but
is markedly superior to them in the areas of color fringing and contrast.  I
am currently comparing and contrasting (pun intended) the performance of the
Leica 40mm Focotar and the 50mm Focotar-2 lenses.

Noel, you can get a copy of the Focomat 1C operating instructions from
Leica, which tells you how to set up and adjust the autofocus.  It requires
adjustment of the cam, which is not difficult.  I don't understand how your
auto focusing could get out of alignment, unless the cam fastening screw is
loose.   I know that the first Focotar lens requires a spacer ring on the
column to place the enlarger head the proper distance from the base or easel
on the later Focomats.  Also, the larger easel (30mm thick) also requires a
5mm spacer ring that, again, is placed on the enlarger column.  The cam is
easily adjusted, and if you don't want to wait for the Leica directions, you
can contact me.

The Focotars have a tendency to haze, but this can be 99% removed by Leica
or DAG.  DAG charged $50.00 three years ago.  The Focotars are fine
performers, and if your lens is in good shape otherwise, it is advisable to
have the haze removed.

I agree with you Dave about the Focomat 1C.  It is easier to use than the
V35 in terms of negative placement and adjustment in the negative stage, and
the locking easel capability is an absolute necessity.  The polished chrome
and natural wood finishes are also classic.  The V35 though is a superb
instrument too.  It offers auto focusing from 3X to 16X, and has
interchangeable color, B&W, and multi-contrast filtration modules.   It also
features a quartz-Halogen light source, with its constant color temperature,
and diffusion light head.   The large base board is also nice.

Ferrel Anderson