Subject: [Leica] V35 Enlarger
From: "Anderson, Ferrel" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 12:56:53 -0600

Mark, you asked where you can find a V35 for sale.  Check out photo net
classifieds at //photo.net/photo/

The last time I checked, two were for sale.

I write the following anecdote for you bargain hunters, and no, Mark, I'm
not trying to rub it in.  Last Friday I was in the news department of our
local newspaper talking to a writer about some slides (taken by me with
Kodachrome 64 with an R6 and the fabulous 100mm Apo)  he wanted for an
article he was writing.  I spied a man carrying an old Focomat 1C out the
door.  I asked him if he was giving those away, and he said that I could
have one for $50.  Since they were well used (i.e., worn out), I declined,
but he said that they were also selling a V35.  I asked to see it.  It was
only used for about four months, and then sat around for four years without
any use.  It was in mint condition, except for some masking tape on the base
board, and some smudges here and there.  It had the color module, and the
40mm Focotar.  I asked how much he wanted for it.
$500!
SOLD!

I took it home, and cleaned it.  It is mint!  It's not for sale!

You ask, "Why are they getting rid of their Leica enlargers"?  The Photo
Editor stated that they are using digital every thing, and needed enlargers
for only large prints.  They purchased some body else's enlarger with full
color automation for this last remaining bastion of conventional
photography.  Only one of their photographers uses film.  The results are
scanned.

And blasphemy!  A Leitz Focomat 1C that is worn out!  Not really.  They
showed a lot of wear, but they were used right up to the time of automation.
A little elbow grease, and they would be more pleasing to the eye.

For those of you who use Leica cameras to attract girls:  Don't tell them
that you just bought an enlarger.