Subject: [Leica] Leica reliablity. was focus.
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 13:56:04 -0800

Nigel wrote:

>I feel so lucky.  My 3 M6's are all in complete agreement with each other
>on focusing and metering; furthermore the focus agrees with my earlier M
>bodies which have all been CLA'd by one or another of the "famous"
>independent techs spoken highly of on the LUG.>>>>>>>>>

Hi Nigel,

Mine (2) agree with each other and they were both purchased in 1985 and
have only had a couple of checks at Leica clinics, but have never been
opened since I got them.

Nope not even CLA whatever. I've used them lots and handled them carefully
within the working environment of assignments of many kinds, however, they
had  bumps and bangs, nothing serious and I still use them without fear.

I hardly ever shoot Transparency film with them unless I require the
Noctilux and then the exposures are crack on. The reading for the camera is
rarely off and if it is, then it's because I didn't pay sharp enough
attention to where I was metering.

When I use the M's I freak some photographers right out! Simply because I
look through the viewfinder, see what I want on film, the "little red
arrows are on"  I click!:)    The epitome of KISS use! :) keep it simple
stupid! :)

It's too bad we see the posts of late regarding quality, I mean simple
things like the range finder not being aligned makes one suspicious of what
else might not be as correct as it should be when buying Leica.

After all, longevity and accuracy of operation have been leica's selling
point for years, and to read the mail of apparent QC neglect, if that is
the case, then the credibility of Leica products will go on the chopping
block as far as future buyers are concerned.

Some of the "problems" posted may have always been with the camera,
however, we didn't have the LUG internet to report the situations of today
in the "olden days" and wouldn't have been aware of them if they existed.

By the same token, if it appears the QC is out of control, it could be  due
to the internet connection making it look greater in number. But in reality
the problem could be minuscule in relation to the number of camera bodies
manufactured each year.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant