Subject: Re: [Leica] Elmarit-R 2.8/35
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 11:30:34 -0500

Hans-
Oops! I think Thib and I were tinning of the earlier R version and you were
talking about the newer version. Again, mine has the clip on shade that
reverses, with a notched lens cap. Even if it is older don't think it is
inferior. Mine must be close to 30 years old, but takes marvelous photos. In
fact I am using mine today since my flash (HORRORS!) won't cover a 28mm
lens, I'll be using the 35 Elmarit to do candids at a wedding reception,
along with an M3 and Noctilux!. I like it because the depth of field is such
that zone focusing works quite well when you have to make a 'grab' shot. I
usually use it on the SL because the viewfinder on the SL is brighter, and
the R version is hard to focus in low light- I am sure the M is much much
easier!
I have heard so much about the 35 Summicron and Summilux, that I put a
deposit on a used Summicron-M 35 until after Christmas. This is a chrome M
version- I cannot recall the exact part number, but I figure if it is a
Summicron, and it works as well as the Summicron-Rs that I have in 50 and
90mm, then it is a definite winner.
I still shoot a lot at 50, so I haven't thought about getting a 50
Summilux-M yet! I piddle along with the Summarit, the poor mans' Summilux
until I can get a Noctilux!
To be frank with you, I have not met a Leitz lens that I wouldn't use; they
are consistently high in quality, and I have never been disappointed with
any that I have used. Since I usually only do at max 11x14 inch prints, the
difference between the older Summilux and the newer ASPH lens would be lost
on me- it's beautiful, but the results I get don't justify spending that
much more... Personal opinion only.!!  :)
In short- Enjoy the Elmarit- it is a fine lens, and you'll love the results!
Dan
dwpost@msn.com