Subject: [Leica] Re: Focomat 1c question
From: drodgers@nextlink.net
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 10:37:33 -0800

Gabe

Re the Elmar vs the Componar. I have a Focomat 1c with a Focotar.  I've
used a 90 Elmar from a IIc. I don't recall much about it, which probably
means that it was neither exceptionally good or bad. Haven't used a 50
though (I assume you're looking at a 50). I had a 50 Componar. It was an
inexpensive Schneider, and it performed as you would expect and inexpensive
lens to perform. My guess is that neither would be as good as the Focotar,
but I'd take the Elmar over the Componar. One thing you might verifiy is
whether or not the Elmar will autofocus on the Focomat. If it won't you may
be better off replacing it with a 50/2.8 El Nikkor. It won't autofocus
either, but is probably a better lens.

I think my 50/2.8 El Nikkor is a touch above my Focotar. It's also  faster,
which makes focusing a little easier. I stick with the Focotar on my
Focomat, since it will autofocus while the El Nikkor will not. I keep the
El Nikkor on a Saunders. I'm happy with both outfits. Each is a little
different. I use the Saunders, which has a dichro light source,  more for
MF. I then switch to a El Nikkor 105. The newer El Nikkors are hard to
beat.

I wish the Focomat would autofocus with an El Nikkor. My Focotar has a
touch of haze, though I still use it, due to the autofocus. My Focomat is
one of the last made. It's still in like new condition. It's my favorite
enlarger, by far. Unfortunately, mine will no longer maintain precise
autofocus. Something is out of adjustment. I don't have a manual. Does
anyone know if it's just a matter of adjusting the cam screw? And if so,
what's the best method to readjust it?

Dave