Subject: [Leica] Re: M6 rangefinder accuracy limit & 90/f2 ASHP
From: drodgers@nextlink.net
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 09:46:37 -0800

Jorge

You wrote:

>>I am thinking seriously about the 90/2.0 ASHP
(I may trade the 80/1.4) but, if when used at f/2.0 it is beyond the M6
rangefinder accuracy limit, is it worth buying it ? , should I go for the
elmarit ?<<

I've recently gone back and evaluated my archived slides and negatives.
I've recognized some tendancies; such as that I have more focusing errors
in dynamic subjects and when using longer lenses. Really no surprise there.

This little endeavor has strengthened my belief that the M is difficult to
use with lenses longer than 50mm. That difficulty is magnified the closer
the subject and the wider the aperture. It may not be as bad with the HM
viewfinders. I don't know since I don't own one. I do have an M3, though,
as well as an M6 and M4-P. I see the same problems when using my M3. I once
had six  90mm M lenses. I'm down to 2 and I'll soon be down to one. I just
don't use them. It's difficult enough using my 50/1.4 Summilux M at wide
apertures.

The numbers which represent theoretical focusing accuracy are interesting,
but in practical terms, they don't mean a whole lot to me. The subject
matter and conditions under which I plan to use the lens are much more
relevant.  A 90 M lens would seem to be ideal for informal portraits in low
light. But in that situation the subject is moving and I'm moving. I can't
prefocus. I'm using wide apertures. All of which leads to a high percentage
of focusing errors.  If I have to spend an inordinate amount of time
focusing I lose the value of using an M, which is spontaneity and
unobtrusiveness.  I'm better off using an SLR. If I were in your shoes I'd
think twice about replacing my 80/1.4 R with an 90/2 M ASHP, regardless of
the quality of the latter.

Of course, if you use the M differently than me (for example,  I know
people who use longer lenses primarily for landscape work where subjects
are  distant and accurate focusing is possible) then my comments aren't
applicable. BTW, I'd love to own an 80/1.4 R.

Dave