Subject: RE: [Leica] Come on guys-lets talk photography
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 08:16:14 -0800

Ken Lee wrote:

>I think the difference here is your repeated reference to newsgroup.  I (and
I think many others) don't think of this as a "newsgroup".  I consider the
LUG more like a family gathering where the one thing we have in common is
our
interest in Leica, but we are also interested in each other as people.>>>>>

Hi Ken,

I don't think it can be much clearer than that. It is the "people factor"
and of course leica, but the folks are what the LUG is all about. THe mafia
don't have the only "family!" :)

I've learned many things about the cameras I never knew in 40 years of
using them, I've learned technical things that have improved my "KISS"
philosophy of  picture taking. Erwin's reports have overwhelmed me with
their throughness of testing. As I've said before, my criteria for buying
Leica glass these many years has always been...."How fast are they" and not
the importance of what Erwin reveals in his assesments of quality. It's
different now!

But the bottom line is who we are, a collection of generally like minded
human beings, some have families, some alone and the LUG in some cases, I'm
sure, serves as their family.

I have fretted over a post I've made and had to respond to the receiver
because I didn't mean to hurt their feelings, as I was talking to a family
member and not a faceless name on the screen.

To many of us we have or develop an emotional attachement to our LUG family
that I doubt exists in few other lists, certainly not in those atrocious
"news group things" where many have such vile tongues toward other posters.

The LUG really survives because Leica is the anchor and we the user folks,
are the crew that make it move through the waters of life!

So the LUG is my connection to so many folks I know I'll never have the
pleasure of shaking their hand, sharing a glass of wine or cold beer and
quietly chatting leica's and photography one on one.

But the bottomline is, I feel I know many of you as kin and it'll always be so.

ted.

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant