Subject: Re: [Leica] Request for Advice
From: "Howard Sanner" <flagstad@sysnet.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 22:28:58 +0000

On Thu, 03 Dec 1998 11:14:22 -0300, Greg Locke wrote:

>I guess my advice, especially if you are not going to be around all the time
>to help out, would be not to introduce concepts such as focus, depth of
>field, etc.

   I disagree with this. My first camera was an Argus C-3. Dad
let me start using it when I was around the age of Bill's
grandson, and one thing I NEVER had a problem with was focusing.
(The C-3, for those of you who think of Barney as a purple
dinosaur and not a bumbling deputy sherrif, is a kinda sorta
Contax clone, with separate range- and viewfinder windows, like
screwball Leicas.) In sum, I don't think the kid's too young to
learn to focus a camera.

   I *do* wish I'd had two things I didn't. Foremost would have
been some pointers and coaching on composition. (I suppose this
is true to some degree with everyone, but I *really* needed it
then!) The other thing I wish I'd had is a light meter, even
something like a Gossen Pilot, not to mention the TTL metering in
every SLR from the mid-60s to the present.

   I specifically do NOT suggest that Bill get his grandson an
Argus C-3, though!

>The few times I have had to teach people photography, I emphasized the WHY
>and WHAT they were photographing.  Know exactly what it is you are trying to
>capture and exclude all that is not a part of the photo you want to make.

   This is what Mr. Samson taught me in high school, and I wish
I'd met him eight or ten years earlier. He was a dyed-in-the-wool
Nikon man, but a good photographer from whom I learned most of
what I know nonetheless.

**
**                         Howard Sanner
**                Kirsten Flagstad Discographer
**                  Ampex Mailing List Founder
**                     flagstad@sysnet.net
**               http://www2.sysnet.net/~flagstad
**
*/