Subject: [Leica] Internships/Garmisa: (was sneak thief photographers!)
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 19:20:59 -0800

Michael Garmisa writes:

"The reason I ask is I was thinking about getting an
internship of sorts at a paper next month."

Don't think about it too much.  Do it.  An internship while
you are in high school will really pay off in the future
(not necessarily with money...but knowledge that will put
you well ahead of your contemporaries).

I have an acquaintance that took an internship while in
college at the L.A. Times.  She is now the Associate Editor
(at least the last time I looked at their masthead).  I was
fortunate in attending a high school that had a strong
journalism program.  We not only published a weekly 8 page
tabloid, but had a student news bureau that essentially
controlled the flow of information and photographs to
several local weekly newspapers as well as the old Los
Angeles Herald Examiner.  Just that experience helped me
through the U.S. Army and part time jobs while in college.
(Part time jobs included the L.A. Times).

One thing to remember is the impression you make during an
internship can help you or haunt you the rest of your
professional career.  The world is really much smaller than
the population figures would indicate.

Sorry about the slice of my life...Eric Welch can probably
add a lot of valid information to this.

Regards,  Bill Larsen
ohlen@lightspeed.net