Archived posting to the Leica Users Group, 1998/12/03

[Author Prev] [Author Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Author Index] [Topic Index] [Home] [Search]

Subject: RE: [Leica] segue to: Platinate prints- Change of subject
From: Jeffrey Hausner <>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 10:40:09 -0500

Platinum, a heavy metal, can be quite toxic, causing severe neurological
damage (such as Parkinson-like symptoms) unto death.  In industrial
processes it must be handled carefully, but can be and is handled safely
using gloves, aprons, hoods,  and other protective gear.  I have never used
the platinum process, so I do not know how one might absorb or, more to the
point, ingest inhale or otherwise be exposed to the metal.  However, many
people wear platinum jewelry with no ill effects.


> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Dan Post []
> Sent:	Thursday, December 03, 1998 9:57 AM
> To:
> Subject:	Re: [Leica] segue to: Platinate prints- Change of subject
> Oddmund:
> Ah, my Norse friend, Mead and mushrooms? Good natural alternative perfect
> for going a-viking!
> BTW- I had read about the platinum process several years ago, but was put
> off because I was led to believe it is a quite toxic process and I heard
> horror stories of nerve damage to fingers and appendages falling off. How
> true is this? was I just being overly cautious?
> The platinate prints I have seen are magnificent- they absolutely cannot
> be
> reproduced in a book or other method. Good luck, and keep us apprised!
> Dan