Subject: [Leica] Ranting is not over
From: leica@olemiss.edu
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 20:02:16 -0600

Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com wrote:

> .....The software is good at fixing problems people are too damn
> stupid to correct in the camera and I hate it. It is though one can't
> possibly make a good image unless it goes through some digital
> manipulation.
>
> So when I hear people praising Photoshop, I have to laugh. The mark of a
> good photographer is not how he uses some bloody computer, but in how good
> his negatives are.
> Rant is officially over.

Your not so pal Ansel Adams, in his autobiography, discussing the decision to
make his original negatives available for future photographers to print
electronically, wrote:

	"....In the electronic age. I am sure that scanning techniques will be
			developed to achieve prints of extraordinary subtlety from original
			negative scores. If I could return in twenty years or so I would hope 			to
see astounding interpretations of my most expressive images."

Photoshop is not just about fixing problems but to create
images/interpretation that cannot be done optically in the darkroom. Ansel
Adams had a good vision for the future and left the door open for digital
interpretation. Why can't you?

But, to produce a fraudulent digital evidence or to distort the truth is
another matter. Luckily, this kind of electronic manipulation is rare in news photography.

Kirk Turk