Subject: [Leica] RE: A vanishing act
From: leica@olemiss.edu
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:43:53 -0600

> Harrison McClary wrote on 24 Nov 1998 21:41:12 -0600

>   Anyway  I wanted to point out that yet another newspaper is closing.
>   I  think  it  is  time we all realize that with the closing of every
>   newspaper  a  little  more  of  us all is lost. There are very few 2
>   paper  towns  anymore.  This means only one perspective is given the
>   readers  and  the people are less well informed. Of the 4 newspapers
>   and  1  wire  service I have worked with over my career 3 newspapers
>   and  1  wire service are memories only. Doors closed permanently due
>   to lack of money and readership decline.
>
>   Oh  well  I guess we can get all the indepth news and information we
>   need from CNN..........WRONG!!

Harrison,
I'm glad you brought up an issue which has certain ominous implications. As
newer media arrived, newspapers showed a pattern of decline in subscription
per household. As well as the number of dailies has declined sharply since the
early part of the century. The U.S. Census  reports that number of newspapers
declined from 2,600 in 1909 to just under 1,500 today. Even tough the total
daily circulation is around 60 million with subscription per household  of
0.67,  each household  was getting 1.36 newspaper in 1909.

Today, many cities have only one newspaper, and most papers are owned by
chains. These new owners, with far-flung and diverse economic interest, have
little commitment to local communities. It is possible that they are not
likely to be committed to journalistic (watchdog) traditions.
The news shouldn't be defined primarily  as one of the profit making products
in a conglomerate's portfolio.
Regards,
Kirk Turk