Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V5 #8
From: Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 13:00:12 -0700

>>To offer the best lenses available on this side of the galaxy is great,
but people
>also like good cameras and specially a wide choice of good cameras.
>>(I love the M6 and the R8, but that is not a wide range)
>>(Black, chrome, titanium, wedding, Columbus and God knows whom
anniversary
>>cameras are
>>not making a range either, that's only milking-the-cow policy, a short
term
>>policy IMO)
>>I don't see the fun of making cameras that nobody will ever use or even
see.
>>(and I'm a collector)
>>I think that a lot of people will love to use Leica lenses on a greater
number of
>>types of camera.

First, there is enough range in the current line. Dont think everyone wants
a dozen different Leica Cameras to choose from. They make the best cameras
and that's all there is to it. The world does not need a bizillion models,
that's marketing BS. Every manufacturer seems to offer a ton of stuff that
is not needed. Secondly, offering Leica lenses on other cameras is a stupid
idea. Do you think some budget shopper is going to buy a cheap Jap camera
and then spend the money for a Leica Lens? Leica quality comes from the
camera and the lenses. If you have used any M series camera, the action of
the film lever and shutter is enough to tell you that the camera is
special.

So you do not see the "Fun" in making cameras nobody will ever use. That
aint the point and no one makes you buy them. I think you are complaining
too much. Companies have long made stuff the public never sees, nothing new
there.

RM