Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M GRIP / Tom's winder
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 16:26:54 -0800

Arturo wrote:

<<<< Also, one-handed operation for fast street photography.  And perhaps,
a new technique (for street photography) I've been considering; hang the M6
and winder around my neck (bottom of the camera secured with a body strap
to prevent flopping) with the 24mm lens attached and a long cable release
threaded through my sleeve to my hand.  With the exposure and focus
pre-set, just fire away!!  How's that for being unobtrusive??  Virtually
invisible!!!>>>>>

Arturo,

I'm going to pretend I didn't read that! About hiding the camera in this
fashion for "being unobtrusive."

My first reaction if I were on the street and caught a glimps of a guy with
a camera around his neck and being sneaky with even a "hint" that he took
my picture, would be to have the neckstrap real tight around his throat
wanting to know who the hell he was and why he was taking, "sneaky pictures
of people?"
In particular me!

I think you may find yourself in danger of confrontation with the method
you are contemplating, as there is a major difference of holding the camera
to your eye and being caught, then being polite and talking your way out of
confrontation.

Than doing it in a "sneaky manner" as you are suggesting!

Imagine how you'd feel if you caught some guy taking your picture in a
manner that made you very uncomfortable and wondering what the hell he was
doing and why me?

Tis far better to take your street pictures like a true unobtrusive
photojournalist than doing it in this manner. But then I come from the old
school of picture taking, I'm not afraid to put the camera to my eye!

I'm sure you can get away with it, but is it worth the chance? Today's
society are not very nice about having their pictures taken on the street
in a fashion where they consider it an invasion of their privacy.

But then this is my opinion and others may agree with your method.

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant