Subject: Re: [Leica] R19/2.8 vs M21/2.8 ASPH
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 20:30:08 +0000

Hi Eddie. You wrote:

>I have a 21mm/F4 R SA and I am pretty satisfied for its performance when
>stopping down to f8. However, I found that it will has some strong light
>fall off when wide open.

I'm surprised about this. I have the same lens (2-cam), and the
illumination seems remarkably even corner to corner. Definition and colour
rendering are also excellent, even at full bore. Have you had yours checked
out on an optical test bench? Maybe there's something slightly out of
kilter.

The only thing I do notice about the R lens, compared to the 21/3.4 SA M,
is that there is a shade more distortion in the extreme corners. But then
they're of totally different designs.

As a result,, I am interested in getting either
>19mm/2.8 or 21mm/2.8 ASPH to replace my 21mm/f4.  I just wonder How do they
>perform when they are wide open ? Also, which lens has better optical
>quality ?

Don't know, as I have neither. As I remember, Jim Brick has the 19mm R, so
he'll certainly be able to help.

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst