Subject: [Leica] Why R sales down...
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 03:32:56 -0500

 Harrison McClary replying to Eric Welch wrote:

""""> Capitalism is amoral.

So  what  would  you replace it with?  A system where some all knowing
government entity tells us what is best?

Sorry,  if  you  go  into a store wanting to buy something then let the
sales  person talk you into something else, you got what you paid for.
We all make our choices and I for one WANT to make my own choices, not
let  someone  else  make them for me. Too much of that sh** is already
going on for my tastes.

Remember  the  old saying "let the buyer be aware" Know what you want,
do  your  research, then get what you want. If the store does not want
to sell it to you go elsewhere."""

I have no better system to suggest. Who was it who said that capitalism is
the worst form of government apart from all the others? I like that.

But consider the difference between these two scenarios.
1) A robber snatches a purse thereby stealing the cash, perhaps 100 and
maybe useable credit cards.
2) A salesman cunningly persuades a person to spend 150 more on an item
than he could profitably sell it for.

Scenario 1 is illegal, but IMHO no less DISHONEST than scenario 2. We live
in a world where ripping somebody off by being stronger is unacceptable but
ripping them off by being a plausible liar is OK.

Legal systems get better every year but I do not know how to solve this
conundrum.

To stay on topic I imagine a cunning (I do NOT mean clever) dealer can make
more out of buying and selling a used Leica ( Little old widow seller " not
much market these days for those old cameras I'll do you a favour and give
you 50 for your hubbies camera" gullible buyer "Can't get these very easily
nowadays and this model is rare, special deal for you 1999.99") than Leica
do. Despite Leica having the investment, employees to pay and expertise to
invest in. In todays world it amazes me why anybody would get into non
electronics based manufacturing.

Sorry to go on and on
Frank