Subject: [Leica] Demand for retro-style RFs
From: Mike Dembinski <mdembin@it.com.pl>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 18:28:31 +0100

Flicking through the latest Amateur Photographer I espy an interesting
camera. It's a Contax/Nikon RF/Kiev looking thing which turns out to be
a retro-looking cover for Japanese photo-obsessives to slip over their
35mm disposables for extra kudos. It's a neat idea. Someone out there is
thinking. Now how about top-end?...

Given the Yasuhara's likely success (if we can believe all we read on
the Web), I believe there's undoubtedly an appetite out there for
retro-styled rangefinders. Surely Nikon have latched onto this...

What can Leica's marketing folk do to catch this wave?

Here's my piece of free consultancy.

Conjoint analysis - price elasticity survey. See what would happen to
demand if you drop prices by increments. Focus group some serious
amateurs, get a handle for their likes/dislikes, aspirations, opinions,
etc.Work out the psychological price barriers. Survey readers of
photomags. Worldwide. 'Fill in this survey and win a Leica M6 and a trip
to Solms'. See if a 25% cut in price would prompt a 40% rise in sales.
I've been loyally buying Leica for the past 17 years. Anybody asked my
opinion over that time? Anyone from Solms looking in here?

My guess is that Leica's marketing people have a mildly arrogant,
complacent mindset. They seem to ignore the basics of marketing. All the
stories we've heard here about the Passport club, shipping delays... The
re-appearance of a Nikon R/F would sure wake them up!