Subject: [Leica] Jupiter-3s tested
From: Mike Dembinski <mdembin@it.com.pl>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 17:50:13 +0100

Got prints back from roll of 200 asa Superia exposed on my Kiev 4a (1979
vintage) with a selection of lenses. Testing procedure would put Mr Putz to
shame:

1) Drink bottle of strong beer (Hevellius Kaper - 9% alc.)
2) Wait for it to take effect
3) Open broadsheet newspaper on kitchen floor
4) Take out Weston Euromaster with Invercone and meter ambient lighting (f/2 at
1/50th sec)
5) Prepare camera body and lenses (2x Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5, 1x Jupiter-8M 53mm
f/2, 1x Helios-103 53mm f1.8)
6) Note unsteadiness as I attempt to focus on newspaper from distance of about
1.2m
7) Snap away.

Results (inspection of 6"x4" prints through lupe) show following:
1) Jupiter-3s quite clearly superior to the Jupiter-8M. Helios -newest lens -
worst of the bunch by far. 9pt body text legible (just) through the 1.5s,
illegible (just) through the f/2, complete blur with Helios.
2) Of the two Jupiters, one slightly better than the other. Unfortunately,
that's the one with the dinged filter ring, so won't be able to use that UV
filter (40.5mm thread).

Overall impressions from rest of roll: Both Jupiter-3s delivered superior
contrast to the slower lenses, but resolving power not as good as I had hoped
(many snaps executed at f8-11, 1/125-1/250 sec - clear, crisp winters' days,
ideal lighting conditions). Still as 6"x4" prints, my wife was impressed. "Even
better than those last ones, which in turn are better than my Canon Snappy"

So there we are. Coming soon: Jupiter-3 wide open vs. 50mm Summicron-M (latest
type).

Mike