Subject: Re: [Leica] Frustrations!
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 08:05:02 -0600

>Those were today's problems, with the negatives I thought worthy of trying to
>print. Of course there were many that were not worth even trying -- but I
>think that is a relatively common occurrence. The final bit of frustration was
>not having anything worthwhile to practice my printing on - I am relatively
>new to the darkroom (~150 sheets of paper exposed).
>
>Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

David,

My suggestion would be to take a class at a local college. Many have
continuing education programs and have photo classes. Sharing your
experience with others can be very helpful. A class with darkroom practice
would be really good for you.

Look for a local place that has rental darkrooms. They often have classes
as well.

Or join the local camera club. A camera store can steer you to one, if
there is one.

And do what Capa says: If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not
close enough. Get close. Fill the frame. Keep your shutter speed up, and
use a tripod. At least at the beginning. This hobby you have taken up is
not easy. That's the big lie Kodak has been perpetrating since the first
box camera used their stolen film formula. (Kodak did not invent flexible
film, they stole it). They say all you have to do is push the button. It's
not true. But even though it's a difficult hobby, with time and practice,
you will most likely get it and start taking pictures like you want.

Good luck.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

 On one hand, I'm indecisive; but on the other, I'm not.