Subject: [Leica] Leica R 180mm lens
From: "ctkhor" <ctkhor@pc.jaring.my>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 19:42:19 +0800

I recently posted that I am building up my Leica R system with a few lenses,
one of which is the 180/3.4 Apo-Telyt. This lens was recommended in Brian
Bowers' book "Leica Reflex Photography" as the best 180's ever made. A good
friend also recomend it highly and I have seen the exceptional pictures made
with it. However, an excellent to mint condition lens cost $1000 + and that
eats into my budget. Doug Herr was so kind to recommend the 180/4 Elmar
instead which is priced attractively enough for me to buy used.
Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about this lens. Can anyone in the LUG
group who have experience with please comment on its performance with
regards to resolution, colour rendition and contrast.

To Leica users like Eric Welch who have experience with both Nikon and
Leica, how does it compare to the AF Nikkors 80-200 f2.8D and 180 f2.8D?

Thank you.

Sattha