Subject: Re: [Leica] LTM shooters
From: n.b.watson@juno.com (Nigel B Watson)
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 16:16:33 EST

My IIIa and IIIf bodies are also in tip-top condition, and in fact I *do*
shoot with them occasionally, expressly to keep them in that order.  As
to the quality of the lenses, my rudimentary comparison of the images
against my wife's Rollei Prego 90 (which admittedly sports a
Schneider-designed lens) gives the edge in sharpness and contrast to the
latter; however, the concensus on the LUG is that Erwin is the final word
on comparing lenses.  My hunch, considering he finds visible advances
with the 135/3,4 APO to the Tele-Elmar whilst for the life of me I can't
find *any*, is that his opinion of LTM lenses might even be a tad
stronger than my own.  Perhaps Erwin has done some testing and has
reports in his files which he would share?
If I were of a mind to use LTM lenses regularly, I would probably use
them with adaptors on an M body, due to the convenience of the
view/rangefinder and film loading/winding on.  One thing which does
become eminently clear when comparing LTM and M, is that the M's
(especially the lenses-- in particular the latest versions!) seem to
literally dwarf the LTM's (with some notable exceptions, of course, such
as the 90/2 LTM).

Regards,
Nigel
On Sun, 29 Nov 1998 12:13:43 -0700 (MST) "Noel H. Charchuk"
<nhcharch@calcna.ab.ca> writes:

>Nigel, I can appreciate your position, taking a middle of the road
>approach to Leica. However unlike you, I do not feel a P&S can give me
>the
>quality my antiquated lenses produce, and I certainly don't think
>either
>my IId or IIIa bodies are ready for retirement yet.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]