Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica's Development and Management
From: Mike Dembinski <mdembin@it.com.pl>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 23:05:52 +0200

>>If one were to let their imagination go wild for a moment:
>>
>>Nikon thinking Leica appear to be falling on their face (not true) decide,
>
>Actually, they did the research, and decided a Nikon rangefinder would cost
>more than an M6.
>
>Don't believe me, talk to the head of NPS who told me!

All depends on sales projections and break-even points. Look at Minolta's
TC-1. You can now buy one for $799 from B&H. When launched, its RRP in the
UK was the equivalent of $2,000.  At some stage Minolta felt it could ease
up its pricing policy. Same goes for Nikon 35/28tis, even Ricoh GR-1s.
Compare launch price with the price being asked 2-3 years post launch.

Early adopters are the suckers that marketing guys use to stick much of the
R&D costs on. Once production gets into full swing (or as 'full' as it can
be for an R/F camera), prices will fall.

I think Nikon just need the guts, the instinct, a feel for market demand,
and DO IT. Not being an 'early adopter' myself (I waited for the TC-1 to
fall below $1,000 before buying), I'd let the pros move in first, wait for
a used market in Nikon R/F's to establish itself, and be willing to spend
around a thousand bucks to buy a body. If it uses M lenses - fine. If it
uses Contax bayonet mount lenses... fine!

Mike