Subject: Re: [Leica] Why R sales down...
From: "Thomas J. Donovan" <75674.3465@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 11:46:44 -0500

Eric Welch,

I've got my own theory on why R sales are down; based,
more or less, on my own buying habits.

I would have upgraded in a "heartbeat" to a new R-24,
R-35, & R-90 patterned off the latest M apo/ASPH lenses.

Instead, Leica put their money & production into their
new 35-70 f2.8 zoom, which is too heavy for hand held
work.....my judgement.

Why were the fixed focal lengths from 24 through 90 totally
ignored ( with the exception of the 50 f1.4) for the R-series;
in fact, the 90 f2 & 90 f2.8 have been discontinued.

Of course, the initial R8 QC problems & lack of R8 motor
drive were not very auspicious "start up" events for new
R customers. Hopefully, the R8 QC problems are over.

Even more discouraging, given the superlative array of M
optics, why didn't  rangefinder sales increase?

Has Leica ever done a survey of their customer base?
They might learn what some of their loyal customers
are willing to spend their money on. Heaven forbid (&>)!

Tom D.