Subject: Re: [Leica] The Passion
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 22:19:12 -0300

At 08:56 PM 27/11/98 +0000, you wrote:

>>I don't even take my camera on vacation anymore.
>>My wife is the "family photographer." (shamefully, a Nikon girl)
>>I can't handle the responsibility.

>>Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
>

>But you love it enough to be on this list!
>More power to your elbow.
>And take your camera everywhere

        Yea...I love it and with only 2 other photographers in my town I
share the "passion" with, this list (and the NPPA-L and CAJ-L) keeps me out
of the pub at least a couple of nights out of the week.

        Don't get me wrong. While it is work for me I still put everything I
can into the picture for the client.  Each time trying to out do the
previous and I still get a kick out of pulling off the one with no odds.
        The trick to not getting TOTALLY bored with commercial work is to
try and treat every shot as if you were going to put it on your wall at home.
Even if the content is questionable, the technique and skill has to be
something you will be proud of.

      Also, it's a good feeling when the president and CEO of a major oil
company comes up to you at a function and says your pictures are the best
ever done for his company and he can't believe you got "that shot".
   To be honest, a little stroke of the ego goes a long way in recharging
the batteries.

>Nobody has ever been abducted by aliens whilst carrying a camera.

        I never though of this....  and here was I hoping to make a fortune
off  the National Enquirer with the first photo-essay from inside the Mother
Ship.

best regards,

Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
St. John's, Newfoundland.
<http://www.straylight.ca/locke/>
"I've finally figured out what's wrong with photography.
It's a one-eyed man looking through a little 'ole.
Now, how much reality can there be in that?" -- David Hockney