Subject: [Leica] False premises 2 (was Oddmund -aaaargh!! ;-(
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 23:41:24 +0000

Ted Grant, most tolerant of Canucks, wrote:

>>In the spirit of encouraging free speech, I suggest that Brian sets up an
>>'oddmund-users' list, where Roger and Jim may drink at the well to their
>>hearts' content.>>>>>>
>
>Now Alex me boy,
>
>A fine Irish lad like you possibly denying other LUG folks the opportunity
>of having a go at good old Oddmund! Diatribe or not, he did create some
>wild and wooly conversation, rightly or wrongly! But it sure as heck was
>always lively!:) And beats the heck out of some of the cows belly tripe
>we've had of late. :)

Ted - I've just finished a most productive day of printing out the best of
my last three months of shooting (average about 2 per roll). I am
comfortably ensconced with a Powers whiskey at my elbow, and then I read
the "O" word. Y'all must be very short of intellectual stimulation if you
need another dose of the stuff from a cow's rear end that your M6 is still
recovering from.

The false premise, BTW, is that I'm a Brit married to an Irish girl, so I
have to be extra tolerant and extra tolerated.

>Some of his posts are better than a wild night in an Irsh pub! :)

That, if I may say so, is an insult to the high quality of conversation in
yer typical Irish pub <g>

>Now here's poor Oddmund just back from heaven know's where in the world and
>the lad hasn't made a post and you've got him nailed to the wall already!

If he wants to discuss the merits and demerits of Leicas and keep on topic,
then let him post away.

If he wants to indulge in his usual execrable polemics on the sins of
participating in a materialist society (of which, BTW, he appears to be a
paid-up and participating member), then I would submit that 'oddmund-users'
is the best solution.

>Be kind lad, show the Irish way of tolerance with a smile and open mind. :)
>Or something like that. :)

Don't worry Ted, I'm still smiling. However, I'm not a fan of people who
stir up havoc and then walk away from it.

>Lets give the boy a chance before you want him on a cross, now.  Besides
>those who have not yet met him will think he's an awful human being with
>differing points of view than many of us. :) OK he has, but are they so
>intolerable in this enlightened/confused world we live in these days?

Nope. They're just way,way off-topic.

>I would venture to say he'll have some interesting tales from his travels
>and or his vineyard in France.

See my remarks above on criticism/rejection of the materialist/consumerist
ethic. If that sounds pretentious, try his goodself.

>Be kind now, Alex! :)

Doin' my best. But I, for one, will have my finger on the delete button if
his first post runs true to form.

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst