Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: archiving
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 15:26:42 -0800

Charles wrote: and more. Sorry Charles if they missed it on the first go
around they can look in the "archives!" :)

>Oh for god sake.
>
>Now there's someone who thinks what he has to say on this list is so
>wonderful, so deathless, so valuable that he has to sign his name with a fake
>name to keep it "his"??
>
>And others are taking this seriously????>>>>>>>>

Hi Charles,

Good on you lad!!!  As I see all this archives stuff a bit silly.

Recently at my questioning "no archive" a friend alerted me to a posting
from this past summer that could have been read I was an anti-semitist.
Fortunately I went back into the archives and read the original post which
was not my writing, but did appear as though I had written the words.

Fortunately dear friend Tina Manley straightened it out  on the LUG while I
was  in Malaysia.  And as far as being considered an anti-semite by anyone,
I'd like it known that I'm an honourary citizen of Israel since 1967! Wars
do that to you.

I mean is there anyone on this LUG that their words are so significant to
the survival of photography, let alone the world, that they feel what they
post to the wild blue yonder shouldn't be archived?

Hell I've saved many a good word just because it makes interesting reading
on paper, then it goes into my personal library of some 300 plus
photography books under, "LUG notes!"

We're not sharing nuclear secrets, nor few of us are rocket scientists
least of all me, let alone are the writings of any interest to the bulk of
the photographic world. :)

So I guess if one doesn't want to be archived and they put that at the
bottom of an insignificant post, so be it. However, the number of human
beings living on this planet who wont understand "NO ARCHIVE" on a post,
will save it anyway. I suggest if you feel your pearls of wisdon are so
important they shouldn't be archived, maybe you could just write it on
paper, read it to yourself at bed time, then tear it up!

Then it can't be archived, can it? :) But heck, are you going to be lonely! :)

Have a nice archiving day! :)

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant