Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica's Development and Management
From: AJSymi@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 01:22:06 EST

Bill Erfurth:

<< If I were a major stock holder in Leica Camera, AG, I would be
 extremely unhappy.
- -------------------------------
Bill,

I would be too!! :-)  When I stated that Leica has a good product line and
that they have very little competition, I certainly did not even get into
whether that's good for their bottom line or not.  But IMHO, I really don't
think Leica has any real competition for the M and R line.  The M system
stands alone as the only manual rangefinder with fast interchangeable lenses.
The R system is the only modern manual-focus SLR  (aside from Contax SLR's).
So in effect, little or no competition (again, not the largest niche in the
world, but...).  I really don't think Leica is competing with Canon or Nikon.
You either want AF or you don't; and the price points of new Leicas further
takes it out of competition with other brands.  What I can't understand is how
Minolta and Pentax compete with Canon and Nikon!!!

Cheers,
Arturo