Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica's Development and Management
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 07:07:04 -0800

Bill Erfurth wrote:

>And while we are talking about marketing, Why doesn't Leica introduce
>a "European delivery program".  All they have to do is put together a
>package where you can pickup you new M6 or whatever at solms.  The
>customer would buy the camera and the travel package from the dealer.
>The travel package would include round-trip airfare, several nights in
>a hotel, a rental car or a rail pass.  They could co-op the deal with
>an airline, car rental company, etc.  They would have a great, new,
>unique, promotion, sell more cameras and make extra profit  by selling
>the travel package all at one time.
>Now, if the marketing department in Solms can't put a program like
>that together and have it out to the dealers in 60 days or less, they
>need to take a hard look at the people running the marketing department.>>>>>>>

Hi Bill,

I don't believe their marketing department are that bright! This would fly
right over their heads for common sense and the potential for publicity,
promotion & most particularly greater sales!

It has been my candid opinion for many years Leitz (the family operation)
and now Leica, don't have a marketing clue whatsoever. They still think a
picture of a guy on Mount Everest with an M6 is going to sell a bunch of
cameras. I also beleieve they still work under the dillusion that "they
know whats best for photographers!" Yep they do listen, but there is a big
difference to listening and doing.

Point:  When a prototype 400mm 2.8 was given to me for field testing (dang
they wanted it back!) :) One of the items in my report was why do they have
to cost over $20,000.00? At that price you're not going to sell too many to
working photographers. Let alone me at the time.

There response was, "Do you own a Mercedes at their high price and if not,
should Mercedes stop making cars because "___you can't afford one?"___ It's
the same for the 400mm or many other lenses we see these days.

Some of them cost an arm and a leg and that isn't going to change whether
the LUG members like it or not, but thems the breaks when you want high
quality beyond what most others are producing.

For those who complain about high prices, does this mean Leica should not
produce them because you can't afford them?  They must be selling enough to
warrant production even though there are photographers who can't buy.

We who earn our living at picture taking and have to face the same high
cost as  those who do it for fun, cant just drop  $5000 or $25,000 for a
lens when it must be something to produce revenue from.

Some folks think we just buy and write it off as a tax thing, but we still
have to make that lenses pay for itself as soon as possible and begin
making a profit for our company. Or its's gone.  Or we're gone!

I realize I've slipped off "marketing" but I feel it sort of goes hand in
glove because their marketing strategy isn't too bright IMHO. And if we as
individual business men ran our business as they do, we wouldn't be in
business too long no matter what pile of leica thingies we had!

Your suggestion is a very valid one and something they should look at and
see how it could be implemented in giving Leica a higher marketing profile,
making greater sales, as there are more folks out there that don't have a
clue what a Leica is than there are those who do..

Most see an M6 as a simple P&S, not that I'd want that to change in
appearance it's a benifit! But it sure could use a better marketing method.

ted