Subject: Re: [Leica] Amateur vs. Pro
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@ms.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 10:00:07 +0900

Joe Stephenson wrote:

> Actually, I much prefer being an amateur. I can take pictures of what I
> want, when I want, and how I want. I can do everything my way with the tools
> I like. I set the schedule, I call the shots. Having to do it for a living
> would be most unwelcome. And I think I would not take as interesting
> pictures.

Much agreed.  That's the reason I chose to be an amateur pianist,
although I probably could have made a living as a professional pianist,
or piano teacher.  (he, he, he, the older you get, the better you
were...)  It was not an easy choice to make, but I am usually convinced
that I made the right choice by getting a desk job.  I do not have to
struggle financially from the art I dearly love.  I can leave it purely
for the sake of self satisfaction, and I truly believe there is no finer
luxury than this.  Oh, yes, the financial independence from the desk job
also allows me to indulge in Leica gears, too ;)