Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Leica] Amateur vs. Pro
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 19:32:31 -0300

At 04:05 PM 26/11/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Just because some one does not make their living with photography does
>not  make  them  less  of  a  photographer.  Heck  those of you who do
>photography  for  fun probably get more enjoyment from it that many of
>us who do it for a living.

        I can guarantee it.  I shoot thousands of rolls of film a year on
commercial and photojournalism work. Most of the commercial stuff I couldn't
care less about but my job is to make the client happy (and pay the mortgage
and car payments) so I have to use all my tricks do give him something to
make him OHHHH and AHHHH. (no jokes about prostitution, either! :^D )

        Out of a year of commercial shooting I would be lucky to have a
couple of dozen "keepers" for myself.  It's a business. I provide a service
to other people.

Then there is the documentary and photojournalism work which I consider my
personal work that I am lucky enough to get paid to do. This is my reward
for doing the commercial stuff.

Emotional detachment from your pictures and objective editing is a big part
of being a professional.  You have to think about the clients needs or the
viewers needs and, sometimes, put them ahead of your own.

An amateur (or art photographer :O) will often "love" a picture or have an
emotional attachment to it because of the memories associated with it. The
pictures means something to them. The attachment is based on the
photographers personal feelings at the time they took the photo. This, of
course, may not be evident to someone else viewing the picture....and it
doesn't matter because the photographer is happy with his picture.

A pro doesn't have that luxury. A pro's job is to make pictures that
communicate ideas and messages that the viewer or client can "read" or
understand.

Think of it as the External Consumption Engine!(where did that come from?)

This brings us to the concept of "Visual Literacy"..... which we'll leave
for another day.

I don't even take my camera on vacation anymore.
My wife is the "family photographer." (shamefully, a Nikon girl)
I can't handle the responsibility.

...back to work,

Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
St. John's, Newfoundland.
<http://www.straylight.ca/locke/>
"I've finally figured out what's wrong with photography.
It's a one-eyed man looking through a little 'ole.
Now, how much reality can there be in that?" -- David Hockney