Subject: Re: [Leica] Amateur vs. Pro
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 17:00:27 -0600 (CST)

Hi, Bud, and good for you.
It's always the 'serious amateur' that gets offended by this line of
communication.
Nowhere did I say that the serious amateur was "less knowledgeable" or
"less talented".  On the contrary, many of the pros are SERIOUSLY
lacking most ANY knowledge of the craft.

Yes, the guy shooting tourists is a pro.  He depends on his Nikkormat
for his income (supposedly).  I assume from your post that you're
not a pro.  If your camera fails, you're out NOTHING except repair
costs, which I assume you can afford (not many of the workin' folk
could afford Contax or LTM as amateurs in the fifties-- by definition
you were or are in a top income group)

THAT'S ALL I SAID.  I, for example, do not have an MA or MFA in
photography.  I have a bachelor's degree in PJ -- ONLY!  However,
I'd put your OR my knowledge up against ANY terminally degreed
photo faculty member in the my state.  I am only a staffer and
an adjunct faculty member, AND a "serious" amateur (at this time).
That does not belittle your or my self-education.

I didn't mean any offense, but I still stand by my post as written.
The pros on this group have to work under conditions that you (we)
serious amateurs do not encounter, even by choice.  Certainly they
want their cameras and lenses to survive -- but the picture (or their
life, in some cases) comes first.

Walt