Subject: [Leica] Gielda Re: [Leica] First 28mm M lens
From: Mike Dembinski <mdembin@it.com.pl>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 22:52:59 +0200

>dear lug friends
>
>I am going to warsaw and I read some mails about warsaw. are there any real
>bargains, or is it all to risky. where is GEILDA?
>
>thanks in advance
>
>andreas

Gielda does offer great bargains - especially in Soviet kit. It's not risky
if you know what you're after and what the going rate is. Watch out for
fakes! (I saw five gold Leicas on Sunday - all made out of FED/Zorkiis. And
that fake grey Luftwaffe M2). It is a great pleace to browse. You'll not be
disappointed - it's over 2,000 square meters of floor space jammed packed
with dealers selling stuff and lots of private folk milling around, cameras
around their necks, looking for buyers. Be warned, prices rise upon hearing
a foreign language (esp. Japanese!!!). Best to pick something up, express
little interest (even if it's a real Ur-Leica), put it down, just before
making to wander off, casually ask "Ile?" (how much?)

Gielda Fotograficzna happens every Sunday of the year, excepting public
holidays, at the Stodola students' club on ulica Batorego, just off aleja
Niepodleglosci. Nearest metro station Pole Mokotowskie. Entry 3 zloties -
about 80 cents US for buyers, 5 zloties for those selling kit. Change your
lira into zloties as only the Russian dealers price their wares in dollars.
There's about 500 lira to the zloty these days - not long ago it was the
other way round:-) The zloty is one of the only currencies to have
appreciated against the US Dollar over the past 12 months.

Happy hunting,

Mike.

Oh yes - wrap up, it's cold (day time highs - minus 8 degs C).