Subject: [Leica] Amateur vs. Pro
From: budcook@ibm.net
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 11:32:34 -0600

I'd like to point out that a lot of folks on the LUG  might be a bit weary
of this *just an amateur* syndrome.  By Walt's criteria, the guy shooting
tourists on a cruise ship with a battered old Nikkormat is a Professional
but I'm just an amateur.

I like to think of myself as an enthusiast who has learned a bit about his
hobby after spending decades and a lot of my income on it.

Let me remind people that computer hackers can be every bit as knowledgeable
about computer programming as most Comp Sci majors and it was audio
enthusiasts who had the ears to tell the so-called professionals that early
digital sucked.

I concentrate only on slides for projection in my trusty Prodovit.  I've
used camera systems starting with a Contax IIa, through LTM, Rollei, Nikon
F, Leica M, Leicaflexes and others.  I've used all kinds of film including
b/w, color negative and color reversal.   Through it all I keep coming back
to the classics...M3, SL, SL/2 and Kodachrome.

The only person I have to satisfy is myself and I'm still trying to do it.

I know it won't do much good but I'm glad I finally got this off my chest.

Bud