Subject: [Leica] Cleaning, filters, Erwin etc
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 98 22:50:30 +0800

>Never read any Leica or Erwin originated documentation. It's all wrong.

Jim,

You might be interested to learn that in the article Erwin Puts wrote in Photo Techniques (Sep/Oct 98, p28) about the Noctilux he wrote:

"The factory advises against the use of filters. However, I use a filter permanently in front of the lens to protect its large front element, and normally I don't notice any adverse effects"

Surely if Leica were so against UV filters they would not make them, or at least sell them with their name attached? After I had a Leica lens repair that took over 6 months and cost 80% of the new price of the lens I am a keen user of UV filters. In situations where I suspect flare or reflections may be an issue I take them off though...

I have found the 75, 90 Summicron M and 135 Tele-Elmar much more susceptible to reflection/flare problems when used with filters than other M lenses I have owned (about 20 so far).

I live in a highly polluted country and have a lot of problems keeping lenses and cameras clean. Filters help and they get scratched and replaced often. I like B+W multicoated filters but they are very difficult to get hold of. They have BTW a new range in Germany called MC-R which boast a highly scratch-resistant coating. Not available outside Germany yet according to my research.

On a less antagonistic note :<) I recall that you use KR3 filters - do you prefer them to 81As or is it just that B+W 81As don't come in the sizes you use? I am a big fan of the B+W Käsemann Warming Polfilter which does not come in all Leica sizes unfortunately - have you tried one? I find the regular B+W Polarisers (Top Pol and Slim MC Circular) I have are not very neutral colour wise with a troubling green/blue tinge. In this respect Hoya are better IME. The Käsemann filters are much better still. How about Leica's? I have only the new M Polariser which seems fine but looks quite different to the older M swing-out Polarisers I have compared colour-wise.

Bests

Adrian

Adrian Bradshaw
Editorial and Corporate Photography