Subject: [Leica] M6TTL and M7 Clues(shoes)
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 98 11:38:55 +0800

>And you will have to cut one of the corners of the foot of your SC->>17
(Nikon)
>extension cord.
>(Very easy)

Lucien,

Maybe, maybe not - I have used this cord unmodified with my M6s and it
works ok for the central contact anyhow. I use a Metz 40 with my Ms and
it often slips off the shoe in the heat of the moment: most irritating!

OTOH I wonder if the M6TTL needs a different SCA adaptor to the R8:
Bill's comments would indicate as much. That would mean three different
concurrent flash fittings for Leica (R8, R6.2, M6TTL): not very appealing
for photojournalism in fastmoving situations...

This sort of mixed interface is one of the main reasons I stopped using
Nikons and one of the main deterrents for R Leicas - 1, 2, 3 3-only and
now ROM lenses and can you even find what you need in the mount you need.
Do Leica even make everything in the latest mount (e.g. converters?).
Such supply problems hve kept me away from R so far.  The rumours about
tiny production of preposterously expensive, large yet basic (for 1990s
PJs) lenses such as the 35-70/2.8 are yet more discouragement. I remember
what one of my first agents said: don't bother with Leicas, use Nikons
and when they break buy a new one. I don't and didn't agree with this
attitude but I can see that a lot of photographers do...

Bests

Adrian

Adrian Bradshaw
Photojournalist