Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Leica? Zeiss? Sap?
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 23:07:04 -0300

At 04:55 PM 25/11/98 -0800, you wrote:

>But now I guess I need to add to the question. How do you remove fish guts
>from your camera. The ooze should leak under the shutter speed dial, under
>the f/stop ring, under the focus ring. And once there, you can't get it
>out! You'll have to send it to a repair person, who will savagely clean
>your equipment. Dilemma! What to protect? A cleanable lens element, or
>un-cleanable camera workings.

        The fact is that pro users (journalism, commercial, industrial) work
in crappy situations (with Ted...LITERALLY!). Things have to be protected,
cleaned and/or repaired often.
        A couple of weeks ago I spent 8 days at an oil refinery. I shot over
200 rolls of film.  The cameras and glass had to be cleaned 3 or 4 time a day.
This is the reality of using cameras professionally.  This is also why, as I
mentioned in another thread, why professionals usually budget a few thousand
dollars per year for equipment repair and replacement.

The Cleaning Kit?

WARNING: Don't read this if you are squeamish about such things.

Windex, alcohol, lint free cotton cloths, toothpicks, Q-Tips, Leatherman
Tool, portable compressed air with vacuum attachment.

If I didn't clean my lenses, I would not be able to see out of them by the
end of the day.

Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
St. John's, Newfoundland.
<http://www.straylight.ca/locke/>
"I've finally figured out what's wrong with photography.
It's a one-eyed man looking through a little 'ole.
Now, how much reality can there be in that?" -- David Hockney