Subject: Re: [Leica] Warm Nikkors?
From: "John McLeod" <johnmcleod@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 16:04:59 +0000

I've been following this thread about the warmth of different lenses and
color perception and just though I'd pass on my experience.  In general, I
have found Zeiss and Leica lenses to be very true to color, very consistent
from lens to lens.  I have never had a "problem" with either in this regard.

In my experience, however, Nikon lenses can vary quite a lot.  There is no
doubt that my old Nikon 50/1.4 manual focus lens from about 20 years ago was
very cold.  I have taken the same picture with it and other lenses and it
will render an off-red color almost blue-red.  On the other hand, when I
went through my F5 phase (Eric was right when he said it would pass), I
bought 3 new 50/1.4 Nikkors for testing.  One was downright yellow-orange
and the other two were fine.  I concluded that while some of this has to do
with film, perception, etc. some of it is good old-fashioned quality
control.  On the other hand, the Nikon 50 was quite sharp at 1.4 in the
center, which was not true of the new 50/1.4 R Summiluxes that I tried,
despite their other excellent qualities (great contrast, great sharpness
from corner to corner when stopped down).

John McLeod