Subject: Re: [Leica] Food for thought for Thanksgiving
From: Thomas Pastorello <tmp@mailbox.syr.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:40:51 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998 AJSymi@aol.com wrote:

> Tom wrote:
>
> snip "non-ASPH lenses, the 21-M 2.8, 35-M 1.4, 35-M 2.0, 50-M 1.0 and
>  1.4, 75-M 1.4, 90-M 2.0 and 135-M 4.0, provide incredible three-dimensional
> sculpting in a 2-dimensional image" snip
> -----------------------------
> Tom, are you saying that a lens can't have the above qualities and score well
> on 2-dimensional test charts??
>
> Arturo

Arturo,
   Osterloh said in the previously quoted book that magazines would
publish lens test results in which Leitz lenses did not rank first.  He
asked Leica users to not be upset, reminding them of their experiences
with Leitz lenses and citing Leica's unique lens design philosophy (as of
1986).  It's become well known on this listserve that the Noctilux, for
example, tests very poorly on standard measures. Yes, there's some
incompatibility between the characteristics the traditional Leica lens
user looks for and admires and standard testing procedures.
   Dennis Laney in his book LEICA LENS PRACTICE (Hove, 1985) argues that
an additional different type of testing is reuired for Leica lenses --one
using the *edge spread width* criterion.  On P. 131 he says: *The Leitz
Lens Testing Laboratory ... set out to find a method for measuring the
image forming properties of a lens that could be directly related to the
photographic image.  They started from the proposition that the subjects
we photograph very rarely consist of grids of black and white lines on
flat sheets of cards.*  His Chapter 9 explains valid test methods for the
old (and gold?) Leica lenses.
  P.S. I revised my e-mail because, in part, I left out in the list of
lenses you snipped above what I think is the last great leica lens -- the
latest 28-M 2.8.
   Thanks for you comment.  I sure there are others who can answer your
question better than I.   Tom P.