Subject: [Leica] Re: uninspired Leica ads
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 12:16:01 EST

In the case of the M, you can hardly blame the Leica bean-counters; after
all, in their minds they already own 100% of the
35mm-interchangeable-lens-all-mechanical coupled-rangefinder-camera
market.   The reflex line is another issue.  The discontinuation of the
2.8/90 (and previously the 4/180) and the R7 shows Leicas aim to sell
exclusively to those with not only the big bucks but the big muscles as
well.  Seemingly, to Leica, eveyone else falls into the category of
wealthy happy-snappers who are content to shoot fast film through slow
zooms priced in Germany but made in Japan so long as there's a programme
mode and a Leica logo.

Regards,
Nigel

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998 16:50:49 +0100 "Martin V. Howard" <marho@ida.liu.se>
writes:
>I'm inclined to agree with Walter's comments.  At the risk of
>reharking
>the whole "a little less Leica" debate, I think that this is *exactly*
>what should be done to increase market shares and ensure that the
>marque "Leica" stays with us.  It would be nice to have a choice
>between
>a one-generation older, more affordable design (but still new, and
>with
>warranty), and the new, APO, ASPH, etc. stuff.  That way, I could
>afford to support Leica by buying new gear, rather than the 20-30 year
>old stuff.
>
>Maybe the new stuff should be called 21 STPH, 24 STPH, etc.  Why STPH?
>For the "stratospherical" price ;-)
>

>M.
>
>--
>Martin V. Howard, Application Systems Laboratory,     |
>Dept. of Comp. & Info. Sci., Linkoping University,    | Just "DOHH"
>it!
>SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.  Tel +46 13 282 421,
>Fax +46 13 142 231; marho@ida.liu.se; www.ida.liu.se/~marho

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]