Subject: Re: [Leica] Warm Nikkors?
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:57:26 EST

According to an optometrist-friend who is also a serious photographer,
colour perception varies widely between individuals.  I think your
subjective testing is infinitely more meaningful to a photographer than
curves, graphs and numerical quantifications, regardless of the
dedication and earnest desire on the testers' part to produce helpful
information.   BTW, which 85 1.8, the older manual-focus or the latest
AF?  These are two different optical designs.  Both super-sharp lenses,
but the early one is not multi-coated and has a colder rendering; also it
has a great propensity to flare if there's a light source anywhere in the
frame.

Regards,
Nigel

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:15:53 +0000 Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie> writes:
>Some time ago I did a series of very subjective comparisions of a 90/2
>Summicron R mounted on an SL and an 85/1.8 Nikkor on an F. Same
>subjects,
>same exposure.
>
>My conclusions were:
>
>a) Very little to choose in terms of definition.
>
>b) Leica rendition appeared to be a shade warmer and more 'plastic' -
>probably the 'bokeh' factor.
>
>I was going to put these comparisons up on my home pages, but decided
>not
>to as there are plenty of people like Erwin who approach these
>evaluations
>in a far more methodical and meaningful way.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]