Subject: Re: [Leica] Stoeckler 2-Bath Processing Method
From: Ian Stanley <ianstanley@mistral.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 14:54:42 +0000

At 08:21 AM 11/24/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I am trying very hard to refine my black and white exposure/development
>process and I ran across a post in Black & White Board
>(http://www.greenspun.com) that I don't understand.  I would appreciate some
>comments from those LUGGERS that are familiar with this.
>
>I will quote a post from this board:
>
>I like the anon reply to your question expose for the shadows, and over
>expose, and under develop.  I run my 400 ASA film at an ISO of 200, and
>similarly with 125 at 80.  For my development I use the stoeckler 2 bath
>method, which is 4 mins in the first bate (dev) and without a rinse, 4
mins in
>the second bath (activator) without agitation, then stop and fix as usual.
>When yuou first see the result you will think they ar under developed, but on
>inspection you will find all the detail in the shadow and highlight area, and
>they are a pleasure to print, usually grade 2 and very littly dodging and
>burning in required.
>
>1.	Is anyone familiar with the "Stoeckler 2 bath method"?    A source
>reference or a description of this would be appreciated.
>
>2.	The poster refers to a first developer and then a second bath (activator).
>I don't understand the term activator.  Is this the same chemical as the
first
>developer, only fresh?
>
>3. 	Can any developer be used and are the first and second developer times
>split evenly?
>
>4.	Has anyone ever used this process?
>
>I have improved the quality of my Delta 100 and 400 negatives by exposing at
>80% of manufacturers recommended ISO and process at 10% less than
recommended.
>I am currently using Xtol developer.   I am still getting too much contrast
>thus requiring that most negatives are printed using a #1 grade filter.  The
>above process is interesting to me.
>
>Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>Bob Bedwell
>Greensboro, NC

Hello Bob,

	I have used
Stockler's developer for some time and have been very pleased with the
results.  My usual developer is HC110 Dil. B but I like to use the Stockler
when my darkroom gets hot in the summer as I do not have to worry about
proper agitation with the shortened development times.  Stocklers is
available in a pre-packaged form from Hove Camera in the UK - contact
Arthur Krick <leica@mistral.co.uk> and he will be able to give you more
information on the product.  I usually pick up my supply when either my
wife or I are visiting England.  Someone on the LUG did send me information
a while ago on mixing up this developer from scratch but the information is
on my computer back in Kathmandu.

	This forgiving developer will give you negs that are very easy to print
and you can develop different speed films at the same time.  Give it a try
as I am sure that you will like it.

Ian Stanley