Subject: RE: [Leica] Retrofit lightmeter for M1-2-3-4?
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:05:27 -0000

Mike,
I spoke just now with Malcolm Taylor (legend of the Leica reapiring
world...) and these are his thoughts.
"Nothing is impossible, it all depends on how much money you are willing to
throw at it"
Essentially there are much fewer problems with the M1,2 and 4 where Malcolm
sugested the cheapest way would be to replace the old top shell on an M6
body. The M3 with the different viewfinder masks would be another ball game
entirely, certainly cheaper to buy a s/h M6 for parts rather than new
ex-Leica and then there's the work on top of that!
That sounds very expensive to me.

rferring again to this old Leica magazine 'Leica News and Technique' from
1935, it was interesting to note that even then there were rumours about the
imminent introduction of a Leica with a built in light meter, they denied
them of course. But we knew they had something hatched for 1972....

Jem