Subject: Re: [Leica] off-topic: on archiving
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 10:57:29 +0100

Pascal and other Luggers,

Been trying to understand what I consider as a strange pattern of
behaviour: why should contributions to a mailing list opened to all not
be archived ? Archiving and indexing on a global scale are two great
assets of the Internet. They allow the automated build-up of enormous
knowledge bases. They also allow sophisticated search procedures on the
history of a debate: the 1st questions, the construction of
sophisticated threads, the evolution of opinions, etc.

What is the use of contributing (i.e. answering to questions, asking
questions or questionning answers) if the contributions should be
limited by some sort of instantaneous lifespan ? I am extremely grateful
to such services as DejaNews which allow me to search and analyse all
kinds of opinions about problems I am confronted with, without wasting
other people's time and everyone's bandwidth with questions solved a
million times before.

People who wish to remain secretive about their hobbies, opinions,
projects, etc, have the ability to avoid public mailing lists such as
the LUG and many others, or to use a pseudonym.

There also is the possibility to build closed and moderated user groups,
where a "club" decides with its own rules what members to admit,
managing encryption and public keys to avoid any 'outsider' lurking in.

No, I do not undestand why archiving this list should create any
concern...

Alan.