Subject: Re: [Leica] M Summicron 90 (old) ?
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 15:55:06 EST

It all depends on if you intend to take pictures or if you will use the
lens in a laboratory on an optical bench and only shoot test targets.  If
the latter, then anything but the new M APO-ASPH Summicron will be
disappointing.  Just ask Erwin.
For actual photography, the outgoing Summicron is a superb lens at any
aperture, with a slight decrease in contrast at f/2 which may even help
things in low-light high-contrast situations shooting reversal film; if
you need the utmost in sharpness, stop this lens down to f/4 or beyond.
The 90 Elmarit is slightly smaller, slightly sharper at f/2.8 especially
in the near-focus distances.  By f/2.8 the Summicron and Elmarit are
virtually indistinguishable, and by f/4 you have to *pretend* to see a
difference between any Leica M 90mm lens produced in the last two decades
except the one made for the CL.

Regards,
Nigel

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 21:14:43 +0100 Christian Payot
<christian.payot@span.ch> writes:
>There were recently a lot of messages exchanges about the new M
>Summicron 90. I woud ask how good is the old model. How does it
>compare with M-Elmarit 90 ?
>
>Regards
> Christian Payot

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]