Subject: Re: [Leica] How to clean lenses
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 06:39:00 -0800

Hilsen, vonohlen wrote:

>Good Lord.  We are not going to turn lens cleaning into brain surgery
>again are we?  >>>>>>>>>>

Thank you for a sane comment!  :)

My goodness the way some of you folks go on about cleaning lenses you might
as well be in the OR doing brain surgery.

A drop of detergent to a cup of water, swill gently, wipe carefully, clay
in kleenex and the mirad of other cleaning conditions to the extent that I
can't imagine wasting time going to the trouble. Picture takings more fun!
:)

The first thing upon purchase of a Leica should be a lens cleaning lesson
by a Leica technician!  Many of you would collapse from fright or go into
cardiac arrest, of course leaving your newly purchased Leica to moi! :)

I on the other hand will continue cleaning lenses as I have these many years,
Hot breath and softie well worn cotton undershorts! I dare say over a
period of time rubbing shorts and hot breath round and round on the
surface, one of two things will have happened: the lenses are "Polished
more or scritched a little."  That's like scartched only less! :)   (can't
see it with a loupe) :)

Please folks, lens cleaning isn't the be all to end all trouble that some
of you go to. As has been pointed out, a little clean spit will go along
way with a shirt tail, sleeve or the backside of undershorts.

So lets tie this off and get out there shooting! And if it doesn't stop
raining here I'm switching to underwater camera's! :)

ted