Subject: Re: AW: [Leica] Loupes in Photim Boutique
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 08:19:20 +0100

Robert,

Thanks for saving me from a $200 mistake! I had the impression from looking at
Pentax's web site and from talking to Pentax Benelux that the zoom loupe did
cover the 35mm slide fully at the 5x end. If that is not the case, then I will
not buy it, as full coverage is an absolute requirement for me.

This incident really shows the value of the LUG!

Nathan

Robert G. Stevens wrote:

> Nathan and Bob:
>
> Not to retract my previous post about the Pentax 5-11 zoom loupe, but I
> went back to the shop with the intentions to buy it but found it did not
> offer full coverage of a slide at 5X and cetainly a lot less at 11X.  It
> was a lot of money and I could not justify it.  Since I do not have a 50mm
> R lens anymore, I could not use that as a loupe.  I asked the shop keeper
> if he had any used 50mm lens cheap.  He came up with a brand new 50mm Canon
> Fd mount auto focus lens from the T80.  I compared it to the Pentax and it
> was sharper.  It is only about 6X, but placed front element down on the
> light table, it would view full frame.  I paid $20 for it brand new out of
> the box.  The shop keeper said that they could not order the T80's without
> a standard lens and they had five or six new ones still in the stock room
> from years ago.
>
> So for those looking for a good loupe, don't overlook a cheap used 50mm
> lens.  If you want more than 6x, I guess you will probably have to buy a
> regular loupe.
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert

- --