Subject: Re: [Leica] Flange focal depths, was: M to reflex adaptor
From: Malcolm McCullough <blayne@mbox2.singnet.com.sg>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 12:25:40 +0800

Robert Stevens wrote:

> <<The easies way to confirm which is right is to take you M or R, put the
> shutter on B and measure from the pressure plate to the lens flange. >>

Thanks Robert, that's a good idea! I could use the vernier calipers sitting
about three feet from the cameras...
I did that for the M (I have no R - yet) and measured 27.34 mm. I wouldn't
claim accuracy to be better than +/- 0.02 mm so it looks like the 27.35 mm
figure is correct. I didn't use the calipers to begin with because I wanted
the
official figure with highest accuracy - then I forgot that they are accurate
enough to decide between 27.95 and 27.35. (oh what a pathetic excuse).

> As for leica lenses on movie cameras, Leica mad an M to C mount adapter.
Is C
> mount only 16mm or is it used on 35mm as well.

I don't know of a 35 mm reflex cameras that takes C mount lenses. I think that
it would be difficult to get the mirror into the 17 mm (less thread depth)
between flange and film. There could be some old non-reflex cameras that could
be adapted for use with M lenses, but they would probably be noisy and have
comparatively poor frame registration and speed accuracy. I looked at an old
Vinten a few years ago and didn't consider the conversion to be worthwhile.

I do have an M to C adapter that was made from a broken Viso, but I would be
very intersted in getting the Leica version. Does anybody know where there is
one?

Thanks for the help.
Thanks also to Rob Studdert and Steven Alexander (I will ask Century if they
still do the adapter)
Regards,
Malcolm